Add to Calendar
21 March, 2017 @ 9:30 AM – 10:30 AM
1957 E St NW
1957 E St NW
Please join us for a breakfast discussion with Thomas Kent, president of Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty (RFE/RL) on the latest trends in the media sector in Central Asia. Topics to be discussed include the current status of media, increasing restrictions on press freedom, the influence of Russia’s negative propaganda to the region, and the challenges and opportunities for independent news organizations, like RFE/RL.
Thomas Kent is a skilled media executive with extensive experience in management, international reporting and journalism standards development. He worked at The Associated Press since 1972, filling roles such as Moscow Bureau Chief, International Editor, Deputy Managing Editor and, most recently, Standards Editor. In these positions, he played a leading role in the editorial and technical transformation of AP into a fully digital news organization. He has also been involved in corporate strategic planning and the development of new multimedia services. He was appointed the new President of Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty (RFE/RL) in June 2016.
- Majlis Podcast: Mirziyaev Moves Fast To Consolidate Position As Uzbek Leader
- Majlis Podcast: Uzbekistan Without Karimov
- Azerbaijan’s Suspended Democracy: Time For An International Reassessment
- “Not In Our Name”: A research and documentary project developed by RFE/RL (video of the discussion)
- Central Asian Affairs 2014