Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Commencement Date: September 2017
The University of Central Asia (UCA) is a private (not for profit), secular University whose charter has been signed by the Presidents of Tajikistan, the Kyrgyz Republic, Kazakhstan, and His Highness the Aga Khan, ratified by the parliaments of the founding states and registered with the United Nations. UCA is the first internationally chartered university in the world. UCA’s mission is to foster the socio-economic development of Central Asia, particularly its mountain societies, while helping the peoples of the region preserve and draw upon their rich cultural heritages as assets for the future.
The Scholarship Opportunity:
UCA is seeking to select and sponsor up to 3 qualified Central Asian candidates to pursue a Master’s degree in Library and Information Science from an accredited university in Canada, the USA or the UK. The candidates will be expected to commence the Master’s degree in September 2017 and complete it within the period stipulated by the admitting university or by May 2019. Upon successful completion of the degree, the candidates will be required to assume a library position at UCA and serve for at least 5 years at one of its campus libraries.
UCA libraries will be state-of-art facilities providing critical gateways to the growing body of knowledge in the curricular offerings and research priorities of the university. The libraries will facilitate the management of this knowledge, which is in a wide variety of formats, and provide expertise in accessing it efficiently and effectively.
The candidates’ training will cover all emerging aspects of Library Science, including information technology and literacy, media technologies, web development, database management, systems design, information architecture, reference techniques, foundation in research and practice as well as classification, cataloging and exercising leadership roles
Consideration will be given to candidates with:
- Proficiency in English language.
- Relevant experience in an academic library setting.
- Excellent communication skills, problem-solving abilities, critical thinking skills.
- At least a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution, preferably an international university.
- Candidates with a Master’s degree are preferred.
- Candidates who have shown a track record of admissions to strong schools are encouraged to apply.
Candidates are requested to submit:
- A Curriculum Vitae or Résumé.
- Proof of birth in Kazakhstan, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan or Afghanistan
- University transcripts showing successful completion of at least a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited international institution (applicants must have 3.0 on a 4.0 grade point average (or equivalent, i.e., at least a B average).
- 3 references from individuals (faculty or employer) knowledgeable about the candidate’s qualifications and background.
- If available, the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) or the Miller Analogies Test score.
- If available, the score on an international test such as the TOEFL, IEELTS, and or SAT.
- A 350-word answer to the following question: Why do I want to pursue a Master’s degree in Library Science?
UCA may be able to provide scholarships to up to three qualified applicants. The process for application is as follows:
- Step 1: Submit application as per requirements outlined above.
- Step 2: UCA will evaluate the applications and invite specific candidates for a set of interviews.
- Step 3 UCA will select the most promising candidates and provide them with support to complete the formal application required to gain admission into a university in Canada, US and/or the UK.
- Step 4: From those applicants who are accepted into the programme, UCA will select and support up to three based on its internal review.
Please send the requested documents to email@example.com, by 30 April 2016. In your application e-mail “subject”, please write: “Library and Information Science Masters Candidate” and please indicate how you heard about us.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.