Nazarbayev University seeks instructors to teach intensive Kazakh and Russian courses to international students during their summer intensive program. Under the supervision of the program director, instructors will be expected to teach four hours per day, five-days per week using a communicative, content-based approach and contribute to the day-to-day operations of the program.
As well, the Kazakh Instructor will be expected to teach a weekly course on Survival Kazakh for two hours each week.
The classes will run from May 23 to July 22. The successful candidate should plan to begin work on May 18 and end on July 24.
Nazarbayev University will provide a competitive salary and housing. All income will be subject to flat tax rate according to the legislation of the Republic of Kazakhstan. For faculty coming from abroad, we also offer visa support.
The position will be contingent upon enrollments.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
– Deliver language instruction for the 8-week period;
– In consultation with the program director, develop a comprehensive course syllabus including course description, course goals and objectives, weekly schedules, and assessment criteria;
– Prepare daily lessons and provide instruction based on the principles of communicative language teaching, content-based instruction, and the use of authentic materials use;
– Keep track of student progress by using appropriate formative and summative assessment tools;
– Keep the program coordinator actively informed of student progress, hold regular office hours, and work closely with student tutors to assess student needs for support outside the classroom;
– Attend daily and weekly program faculty meetings;
– Provide peer support to other faculty members as necessary;
– Collaborate with the program director, fellow instructors, and student tutors to establish relevant co-curricular activities for students;
– Help promote co-curricular activities and participate in co-curricular activities as necessary;
– File the final report with the school administration.
– Native of near-native proficiency in English and the language of instruction;
– Excellent teaching and interpersonal communication skills;
– Familiarity with communicative and content-based teaching practices and use of authentic materials;
– Proven dedication to excellence in language teaching.
– M.A. degree in a related discipline
– 2+ years of previous language teaching experience in the target language strongly preferred, as well as experience working with English-speaking students;
– Previous experience teaching in intensive program preferred;
– Previous experience with content- and/or project-based instruction strongly preferred;
– Knowledge of or experience with ACTFL Proficiency Guidelines and oral proficiency testing experience is strongly preferred.
To apply, please go to our application portal, using the links below:
Attach the following materials to your application: 1) a cover letter, 2) a CV/resume, 3) sample teaching evaluations, and 4) sample teaching materials and syllabi (no more than 10 pages). Please, convert all attachments to pdfs.
Also, arrange to have a letter of recommendation sent to Dr. Amanda Murphy by email (email@example.com) and indicate “Application for Instructor Position” in the subject line.
Application deadline: February 22, 2020.