By Kazakhstan Council on International Relations, 2020
Below is the text of the final chapter of the report, as well as a link to the full report.
Despite the ambiguousness of the processes taking place in Kazakhstan in the conditions of transit of power and their perception by the Kazakh and international community, the Republic guided by the new Head of State Kassym-Jomart Tokayev is going through a rather interesting stage of its development, which combines elements of evolution and reboot. We can note the following main intermediate results of this process.
One can note the following primary interim results of this process:
1. The change of the country’s leadership was marked by a reboot of the political system of Kazakhstan. As a matter of course, the super-presidential model of governance, formed in accordance with the personal and political potential of the First President of Kazakhstan – Elbasy Nursultan Nazarbayev, is being transformed towards strengthening not personalist, but institutional origins, according to the formula “Strong President – influential Parliament – accountable Government.”
2. The reboot also touched upon key approaches to further development of Kazakhstan and carrying out political, social and economic transformations necessary under current conditions. If Nazarbayev’s approach was his famous affirmation “First economy, then politics”, then Tokayev’s one is “Successful economic reforms are no longer possible without modernization of the social and politic life of the country.” In this regard, in his first Address to the people of Kazakhstan, the President of the RoK emphasized the implementation of political reforms as part of the formation of a modern effective state.
3. The reboot is also going the path of the relationships between the state and society, in accordance with the principle “Different Opinions, One Nation” and the concept of “Hearing State”. In this situation, a critical point is the fact that Kassym-Jomart Tokayev is consistent in fulfilling his promises, as reflected in his election program. Notably, he made his most important decisions exactly after taking office of the President of the Republic of Kazakhstan in accordance with the results of the elections, having legitimate grounds for this, and not during the election campaign to mobilize the electorate. This circumstance also drives up the level of confidence of Kazakhstanis in the Head of State. In this case, the responses of a large number of citizens to his call for dialogue are also indicative, which was expressed in their appeals to the President of Kazakhstan through various channels.
4. Another reboot line is a new social policy based on reorientation of the functioning and development of the national economy for increasing the level of welfare of all Kazakhstanis and equitable distribution of the public revenue. At the same time, there is a goal to ensure that the system of social protection Kazakhstan. Tokayev. Reboot 37 of the population does not contribute to the growth of dependency and paternalism among citizens, but motivates them to work and self-sufficiency.
5. Being a member of the Bureau of the Political Council of the “Nur Otan” party, Tokayev, however, does not try to use the party as a key political resource in support of his official line. Such a resource is the National Council of Public Trust created by him, which membership reflects different views, ideas, positions, social and political interests. In turn, this body helps the Head of State to present himself as an exponent of national interests and the interests of the entire Kazakhstani society in all its diversity, rather than partisan or group ones.
6. The unique character of the National Council of Public Trust also resides in the fact that it is a mechanism enabling a dialogue not only between the authority and society, but also between different segments of society itself. The representatives of different political parties, non-governmental organizations, business circles, mass-media and expert community, who have joined it, will, primarily, have to learn to interact constructively with each other and make coordinated stances on various issues. The intense and productive activity of the working groups of this body shows that the movement takes certain and effective steps in this direction. The Council is thus expected to set a good example of dialogue and coordinated work of the rest of society and its institutions.
7. The sitting and former Presidents of the country have built normal working relations which contributes to the consolidation of the ruling establishment of Kazakhstan and the functioning of the system of public authorities and governance in a stable way. Political support from the National leader Nursultan Nazarbayev for the activities of Kassym-Jomart Tokayev as the Head of State is one of the important factors of successful performance of this activity in conditions of transit of power.
8. Using his strong experience of managerial work at different positions in the system of public authority and administration of Kazakhstan, Kassym-Jomart Tokayev rather quickly mastered methods and mechanisms of the activity as Head of State. Herewith he demonstrates his ability to respond to various processes and events in a timely manner and to make prompt, however balanced and adequate decisions.
9. The vigorous activity of the President of Kazakhstan in the area of foreign policy contributed to his rapid and successful entry in the circle of top decision-makers of countries of the world and international organizations. In turn, this circumstance allows preserving and developing in the future the positive dynamics of relations between Kazakhstan and leading foreign policy partners. Notably, the range of visits abroad and international conversations held by Kassym-Jomart Tokayev during his tenure as the Head of State shows persistence in following the principle of multivectorness in building and implementing the foreign policy course of the country. Also, within the Analytical report 38 framework of this area of governmental activity, the emphasis on the promotion and protection of national interests of Kazakhstan has become more clearly traced. All this already appears to be a good basis for further effective implementation by the sitting President of the Republic of Kazakhstan of his declared political course.