Call for Papers to the Second Central Asian Forum on Sustainable Development and Innovation (Loughborough (UK) 18 March /Astana 4 April)
Sent on behalf of the conference organizing committee
Dear Academics, PhD and Master of Research students,
We are glad to invite you to the Second Central Asian Research Forum on Sustainable Development and Innovation, which will take place at Loughborough University on 18 March 2019 and Nazarbayev University on 4 April 2019.
The Forum is a student-led initiative by the Association of the Kazakhstani PhD Students in the UK hosted and sponsored by Loughborough University (UK) and Nazarbayev University (Kazakhstan).
The Forum includes two parallel events and you are welcome to participate in any of them at your convenience:
– the first event will be held in Loughborough, UK to showcase the Central Asian sustainable development (SD) projects of PhD students and researchers based in the UK/Europe/USA,
– the second event will be held in Astana, Kazakhstan to showcase and stimulate SD research across all universities of Central Asian states: Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan.
About Sustainable Development
On 25 September 2015, the UN General Assembly adopted 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and 169 Targets to end poverty, protect our planet, promote peace and technological innovations, and ensure prosperity for all. All states, including Central Asian states, supported this initiative to achieve SD goals by 2030 and improve the quality of life in Central Asia for the current and future generations. The ultimate success of the SDGs depends on solid collaboration and partnership among all concerned actors: United Nations, governments, policy-makers, civil society, business sectors, local communities, as well as universities and researchers.
The Second Central Asian Research Forum on Sustainable Development and Innovation provides a platform for researchers focused on Central Asia to present their cutting-edge and action-oriented research projects on Sustainable Development, discuss them with concerned partners, and forge partnerships for future implementation with governments and investors.
Aims and Objectives of the Event
The Forum’s aim is to provide a platform for design, discussion and implementation of research-backed and action-oriented projects on sustainable development with a focus on the needs of the Central Asian region. The Forum’s objectives include:
– Identification and engagement in a result-oriented discussion of key stakeholders in the UK and the Central Asian region: researchers, PhD students, investors, universities, governmental decision-makers, etc.
– Providing an opportunity for PhD students and researchers to present their cutting-edge research projects on sustainable development
– Securing support and provisional funding from Central Asian investors and governments for implementation of presented SD projects
– Discussion of establishment of potential working groups/think tanks for further collaboration and cooperation among stakeholders in the UK and Central Asia on SD projects.
Established researchers, PhD and Master of Research students are invited to submit proposals for the Forum. Proposals must be linked to any of the UN SD Goals or Targets available here:
United Nations Sustainable Development Goals – Time for Global Action for People and Planet
Proposals should briefly describe an idea of a sustainable development project for the Central Asian region or any of its states. Selected presenters will be invited to present their SD projects to fellow academics, government officials and private investors. Selected speakers will be also offered full or partial financial assistance for accommodation and travel within the UK or within Central Asia, respectively.
- Author’s name, institutional affiliation and email
- A 300-500-word proposal summary
- A 100-word bio
Please send your proposals via EasyChair: https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=sdforumca2019 or to firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for abstract submissions: 30/12/2018
Notification of acceptance: by 15/01/2019
Registration for presenters and participants opens on 01/02/2019.
Please find more detailed information about the Forum in the attachment.
For any further details, please send your requests to email@example.com.
Aliya Sembayeva (University of Liverpool) and Khalida Azhigulova (University of Leicester)
On behalf of the Organising Committee
Khalida Azhigulova, MJur (Oxon), FHEA
School of Law
University of Leicester
LE1 7RH Leicester, UK